While the pale yellow limestone softens the building’s French patrician castle-like stature, the neoclassical architecture reflects the fact that, in 1921, it first housed the management offices of the Nestlé & Anglo-Swiss Condensed Milk Company. At the time of its completion, Gustave Aguet presided over the company, having succeeded his brother-in-law Emile-Louis Roussy (1842-1920), the first CEO of the conglomerate arising from the 1905 merger.
Built between 1918 and 1920, the first administrative offices of the Nestlé & Anglo-Swiss Condensed Milk Company were designed by local Vevey architect Adolphe Burnat (1872-1946). Pierre Nicati assisted him in supervising the construction.
After 1936, when the management offices moved up the road to their new site in Entre-Deux-Villes, the building housed the Société des Produits Nestlé. These offices joined the new wing in La Tour-de-Peilz in 1979, leaving the building empty. After considerable renovation, on 21 June 1985 the building opened its doors to the Alimentarium, the world’s first food museum.
The Salle Nestlé on the first floor is the only room in the building to preserve its original splendour. From 1921 to 1930, it was the office of the Director General of the Nestlé & Anglo Swiss Condensed Milk Company. Today, this room honours the pioneers of industrial food production, such as the inventor of canning and artificial deep freezing.